Developing new ideas, materials and processes is at the core of the Design Crafts BA programme. This is achieved through a rigorous and rich approach to teaching and learning in an environment that is both stimulating and challenging, and by engaging in craft and making through live projects and placements.
Why study BA Design Crafts at Middlesex University?
The Design Crafts programme aims to develop a new generation of makers, designers and craftspeople that are experimental, critical and enquiring in outlook, asking key questions about why, what, where and who we make for. Based in our £80 million Grove Building and with access to both traditional and contemporary tools, materials and resources, students can develop critical making and thinking skills to experiment, innovate and create new potential for themselves and others.
Embedded in the course is a focus on finding new ways to present ideas and work by developing external partnerships which examine potential environments where making can be explored. Students will develop highly transferable skills, establishing the tools to enable relevant working practices and the means to think about new contexts to present or make work in. The course aims to stimulate and raise awareness of the importance and relevance of craft processes and making in society today and will offer a series of critical lectures and workshops that underpin this.
The programme can be taken over a period of three years or over four years, in a sandwich mode that includes a one-year professional placement. This enables you to incorporate a substantial professional practice element in your studies, for which you will receive an Advanced Diploma Professional Practice: Design Crafts at graduation.
The Design Crafts programme has been built and developed from the internationally renowned BA Jewellery and Accessories course, which has run at Middlesex University for over 30 years.
- Supportive and inclusive learning environments where students are encouraged to experiment
- Specialist workshop facilities for metals, jewellery, ceramics, plaster casting, glass, plastics, wood and new technologies such as 3D scanning and 3D printing
- Focus on finding new ways to present ideas, to develop new working environments and develop awareness of the importance of making in society today
- Valuable networking opportunities and professional insights through high-profile guest lecturers and regular field trips in the UK and abroad
- Live projects embedded throughout the course
- In addition to the standard three-year full-time course we also offer a sandwich option, incorporating a one-year professional placement recognised by a dedicated Advanced Diploma in Professional Practice qualification
- You will work throughout the course on integrated design and make projects that vary in scale, scope, complexity and duration – a project-based approach that allows you to develop progressively
- Access and live projects with our Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture (MODA) with world-leading research, collections and exhibitions on a wide range of design and craft subjects
- As a student of this course you’ll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
- Whether you are taking the first step into higher education, looking to start your own business or changing directions in your profession, we have the facilities, industry links and world-class expertise to help you develop and make extraordinary things.
What are your career options with a degree in Design Crafts?
In addition to the practical skills and knowledge you’ll gain from this course, we equip you with the entrepreneurial opportunities and skills to help you succeed as an independent designer and maker or lead expert within specialist craft manufacturing or design application business.
While this is a new programme, we expect most of our graduates to pursue self-employment on completion of this course designed to support the aspirations and interests of students at any stage in their professional life and career, this course is flexibly designed to allow you to tailor your work to meet the needs of your ambitions. Therefore, the opportunities following graduation are varied and individually relevant and likely to be influenced by the work placement opportunities available for all our students in the third year of the course.
More details about course content and entry requirements please visit Middlesex University London
UK Graduate Support
We help you with the university, UCAS, Student Funding and Visa application process
Please Contact an advisor for FREE Advise by calling 020 3609 0260 or by completing the Enquiry From. And get £150 CashBack through UK Graduate.